Greek stonemasons from Epirus had settled in Petrota and took part in the construction of Mustafa Pasha bridge in modern Svilengrad. A large part of the bridge, declared World Heritage Site by the UNESCO, has been constructed with stone from the Petrota quarry.
The bridge was part of Via Diagonalis, it was designed by the famous architect Sinan and was completed on 4 September 1529, a few days before the siege of Vienna. After the completion of the bridge, the Turks conceded the use of the quarry to the masons as a reward. The mining of building stones and the production of useful objects continued until the beginning of the 20th century.
Sotiroudis’ sculptures are monumental and at the same time gifted with the rare quality of exceeding the time limits. The artist has reached this grade of maturity that allows him to endow his works with that idiomatic scent that makes them conquer the space.
Art historian, Art critic